Today we planted out the broccoli and brussels sprouts.
Last year we used row covers to keep moths out,thereby keeping out their larva. It worked brilliantly, but I wasn't too impressed with the strength of the floating row cover that I ordered. I ripped a couple holes in it during its first year. Not the durability that I was hoping for. Over the winter I had an idea. I thought I had read an article about people using tulle as row covers. This sounded like a good idea to me, but would it be cost effective. My Mom is a crafter, so I asked her what the cost would be. I did some figuring and it would cost me more than the row covers, however my Mom also informed me that she gets frequent coupons from one of our local fabric stores. I waited until she got a 50% off coupon and I bought enough tulle to cover half of one of our garden beds. It wasn't wide enough so I had to have my Mom cut it in half and then sow the two halves together. When it was done, she called me to inform me that my broccoli prom dress was ready. Time will tell if it will be a more durable solution.