Thursday, June 30, 2011

We Finished Shingling

In the interest of saving our sanity, we decided to rent a lift in order to finally finish shingling. We finished this project about a week and a half ago but I am just now getting around to blogging about it.

Let me tell you, this is a project I won't miss. By the by, shingling from the lift greatly improved our shingling speed. A big thanks to my Dad for helping us put the shingles on our roof. He is a apparently a glutton for punishment.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Blog Catch Up

It has now been over a month since my last blog. I figured I better get back to it, so here is a hodge podge of what has been going on.

We are nearly done shingling. It is going well and believe it or not we’re getting pretty good at it. Shingling on a steep pitch as ours is, is largely a function of weather. We just haven’t had that many days without extreme winds or rain or both.
On top of that, we spent some time helping our community fight a swelling Missouri River. We’re not out of the woods yet and the river is still rising. We continue to pray for the folks in the flooded areas.

We have been working on the second floor flooring on and off. The flooring is one of those projects (rare as they may be) that is turning out exactly how I wanted it to. We are blind screwing 2x6 tongue and groove down with 3” trim head screws. Here’s a tip. Get yourself some reversible bar clamps and use them as spreaders. It is so much easier to force errant boards into place.
My Mom and wife have starting tuck pointing the north wall. That process deserves a post of its own. Stay tuned.
This year we didn’t want to miss out on so much planting like we did last year. So, we planted (at least half of) a large garden.

We added 18 Canadian Haskaps to our Honeyberry plot. AND

We have finally started getting our poplars in the ground. So far we only have about 70 of 150 in the ground. We have mostly Op-367s, but I cut some ‘native’ poplar cuttings from my wife’s parent’s house last fall. It will be interesting to see which we get more growth out of. I plan to document the growth this year, as a lot of people seem to be interested in poplars as fuel for the woodstove – the Op-367 in particular.