My 22" finnish contraflow heater core is finished. It probably isn't precision perfect, but considering I had never laid a brick before in my life; I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. The pictures below are my course by course outline (save for a couple courses I forgot to photograph).
I decided after I had the corners of the transition header in place, I would mortar four of the bricks together before I put them up. It worked fairly well except I was getting to the bottom of my mortar and a few hard chucks of mortar threw a couple bricks off kilter. Lesson learned.
Now I just need to figure out the chimney and put the facing on. Excitement ensues!
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Saturday, January 14, 2012
I wanted to finish the center channel of the masonry heater today before I updated the blog, but I ran out of time and almost out of mortar. I decided to do the update anyway.