Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Big Pour!

We finally got to do our foundation pour, and I have to say that I am very satisfied with the final product. This is due, in no small part, to my cousin Josh and the crew he brought with him – Gary, Cody and Barry. I was very impressed with how well they worked together and just knew what to do. I definitely learned a lot. We started on the front end and worked our way around screeding off the masonry heater footing as planned.


Josh finished up the more difficult area that contained all the plumbing.

While Barry the hired finisher ran the power trowel ...

I installed the wall anchors.

Like I said it went well, but not without a couple incidences. The forms bowed out in one area (not a big deal) and lifted in another (a big deal). The lifted area ruins the ability to screed off of the form and retain the same grade. Josh and his team acted fast and screeded it by eyeballing it. When all was said and done, we put the four foot level on there and it was spot on. I was very impressed and grateful that they were there.

I ordered 20.5 yards of concrete and when we were done we had less than a wheelbarrow full of concrete left. I'd like to say I'm an expert estimator, but sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good. I had estimated 19.5 yards and added an extra yard to cover any errors.

We returned to the site today to check it out. The power troweled floor looks great and I can't wait to acid stain it. I'll snap a picture the next time we go out.

Next, we go vertical!

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive.....I have a patio I need poured, you and your gang up for it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention the blasted weather conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, did I forget to mention is was just about 100 degrees.

    ReplyDelete